Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Welcome, Wannabes.

If you're anything like me (and since you're reading this I'm assuming you are), you're probably here to do one of two things: 1. Uncover that elusive, deep-seated secret on how to finally get pregnant, or 2. Find someone out there that can relate to your struggle. Unfortunately, I can't promise to deliver on #1, but I'll try to at least make some progress on #2. If nothing else, I hope this blog to be somewhat therapeutic for me and a few readers; an online fertility diary/support group of sorts. So please forgive the occasional endless, boring, sob-story-of-a-rant. We'll see how it goes.

Let me get a few things out of the way. First, I am not a writer. Sometimes I fancy myself pretty decent at it, but don't expect too much in the way of exotic prose. I picked up a thing or two minoring in English literature in college, and have hopefully assimilated a few tricks in my close proximity to copywriters as someone working in marketing. But it's not really my forte. Consider yourself warned.

Second, I'm not a doctor or therapist or any other kind of health-professional. However, since embarking on this journey of Trying To Conceive (TTC), I've been forced to learn much more than any average woman should ever know about estradial and follicle stimulating hormone and hysterosalpingograms. Sometimes I scare myself.

Third, you might not want to read on if you're someone knee-deep in the trenches of IVF or IUI or ICSI or I-anything. Not that I have anything against those procedures. I've tried most of them myself. It's just that right now my focus is more on improving my fertility, um ... naturally. OK, so I'm 38. And, yes, I've been TTC for four year. And yes, I'm acutely aware of the statistics. But I'm hell bent on staying off the Western Medicine hamster-wheel of infertility treatments. Artificial over-priced drugs taken to pound my ovaries into overdrive can't be the only solution. There has to be a better way.

Don't get me wrong—I'm not naive enough to believe that a few shots of wheatgrass and a yoga class are enough to make you pregnant. (Trust me, I've tried it). But I'm thinking that maybe it's a start. Maybe I'm on to something. It's at least a direction I can feel good about.

If any of the above sounds good to you, please join me. I'll try not to disappoint, and possibly even learn something along the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You GO GIRL!!!

I think this is a GREAT idea to get your thoughts down and to share your experiences with others...I think you'll find this will be very helpful!

XOXOXOXO
RC

April said...

Good luck...I think you will enjoy blogging. And I believe it helped me get pregnant...or at least stay sane! And I totally understand your aversion to Western fertility treatments. Although my pregnancy is the result of IVF and for that I'm thankful, I think the natural fertility practices I took on helped. I personally highly recommend developing and addiction to acupuncture. And if you haven't read "The Fertile Female" by Julia Indichova, you must drop everything and get yourself to a bookstore, stat!